Michael W. O'Dell, M.D. Professor Emeritus of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine
Michael W. O’Dell, M.D. is nationally and internationally recognized for his expertise in clinical care, education and research in the field of neurological rehabilitation. Dr. O’Dell served as Professor on the faculty of Weill Cornell Medicine in the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine from 2001-2022 and is currently Professor Emeritus at that esteemed institution. He has presented and lectured extensively on neurological rehabilitation clinical and research topics throughout the United States and Europe, as well as, South America and Asia. Dr. O’Dell has published nearly 100 scientific articles in the rehabilitation and neurological literature, more than 15 book chapters and was Co-Editor of the First Edition of Cancer Rehabilitation: Principles and Practice published in 2009. He has served on the editorial boards of both The Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation and the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and published in some of most prestigious journals in the field including The Lancet, Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, PM&R and Stroke.
Dr. Michael W. O'Dell received his Medical Degree in 1985 from Indiana University School of Medicine and completed a residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in 1989. In 1991, he completed a Fellowship in Brain Injury and Trauma Rehabilitation at Mediplex-Rehabilitation in Camden, New Jersey. Before joining Weill Cornell Medicine and NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in 2001, he held several academic appointments, medical directorship and administrative positions at Northwell Health on Long Island and the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.
Dr. O'Dell Details
- 1977-1981 : Franklin College of Indiana, BA, Biology and Chemistry
- 1981-1985 : Indiana University School of Medicine, MD, Indianapolis, IN
- 1985-1986 : Transitional Internship, Memorial Hospital of South Bend, Indiana
- 1986-1989 : Residency in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 1990-1991 : Fellow in Brain Injury and Trauma Rehabilitation, Mediplex Rehabilitation Hospital, Camden, NJ (under the supervision of M. Elizabeth Sandel, M.D. and David W. Ellis, Ph.D.)
- 1989-1991 : Clinical Associate, Division of Rehabilitation Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, Philadelphia
- 1991-1995 : Assistant Professor of Clinical Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
- 1995-1997 : Associate Professor of Clinical Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
- 1998-2001 : Associate Professor of Rehabilitation Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, New York, New York
- 2001-2022. : Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York
- 2002-2022. : Adjunct Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University
- 2022-. : Emeritus Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine , Weill Cornell Medicine, New York (Appointment Pending)
- American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (Certificate #3342), 1990
- New York (205698)
Scientific Journals And Editorial Boards:
- Editorial Board, Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 2003-2019.
- Co-Editor, “Point-Counter Point” feature, PM&R, 2014-2017.
- Journal Oversight Committee, PMR, Member 2009-2011, Chair 2011-13.
- Editorial Board, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2002-2009.
- June 2022, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Weill Cornell Medicine initiates the Michael W. O’Dell Annual Faculty Mentorship Award
- Weill Cornell Medicine, 2022 Dean’s Award For Excellence in Mentorship, New York, New York May 19, 2022.
- Association of Academic Physiatrists, 2019 AAP Service Award, San Juan, Puerto Rico. February, 2019.
- Visiting Professor in Rehabilitation Medicine, Department of Physical Methods of Treatment and Sports Medicine, First Saint Petersburg I. P. Pavlov State Medical University, Saint Petersburg, Russia. November 13th, 2018.
- Visiting Professor in Rehabilitation Medicine, The Stroke Center MC Universal Clinic “Oberig”, Kiev, Ukraine. September, 2017.
- Visiting Professor in Rehabilitation Medicine, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Vilnius School of Medicine, Vilnius, Lithuania, June 29 and 30th, 2015.
- Visiting Professor in Rehabilitation Medicine, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University School of Medicine, Prague, Czech Republic, April 8th and 9th, 2013.
- "Outstanding Commitment Award." Association of Academic Physiatrists, awarded for 5 year Directorship of the Program for Academic Leadership, March, 2012
- Department of Rehabilitation Medicine Resident Teacher of the Year Award, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, 2011
- The Best Doctors in America, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- New York Magazine designation “Best Physicians in NYC,” 2013, 2014
- “Rehabilitation Issues in Subarachnoid Hemorrhage,” Fifth Annual Boynton Lectureship, Invited Lectureship, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, September 13, 2004
- Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 2000
- Attending of the Year, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 1998
- Visiting Professorship, New England Rehabilitation Hospital, Woburn, MA, March, 1994. Topic, "HIV Neurorehabilitation: Clinical Aspects and Models of Care"
- PM&R Faculty Teaching Award, University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, 1992
- 1989-91 : Board of Directors AIDS Library of Philadelphia
- 1990-91 : Scientific Advisory Committee: Field Initiated Group for HIV Trials (FIGHT), Philadelphia, PA
- 1994-95 : Board of Advisors, Jewish Vocational Services (Vocational Rehabilitation in TBI), Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2002-2011 : Medical Advisory Board, Brain Trauma Foundation, New York, New York
- 2007-2009 : Clinical Advisory Council, Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, New York City Chapter
- 2009-2022 : Board of Trustees, Franklin College of Indiana
- Academic Affairs Committee, 2009-2022. Chair, 2018-2021.
- Student Affairs Committee, 2009-2022.
- President’s Committee, 2016-2021.
- Executive Committee, 2018-2021.
- 2021-. : Board of Directors, Center for Independence of the Disabled of New York (CIDNY)
- Program Committee 2021-.
- Ad Hoc Strategic Planning Committee 2022-2023
- Executive Committee 2023-.
- Dr. O’Dell does not participate in any commercial insurance plans, Medicare or Medicaid.
- Dr. O’Dell is happy to provide a price list for goods, services and procedures, upon request.
NeuroRehabilitation Consultants – New York City